Otis College of Art and Design
Assistant Chair of Product Design
Open Until Filled
Los Angeles, CA (Westchester)
The Assistant Chair of Product Design has both an administrative and academic role. The Assistant Chair works in conjunction with the Department Chair and the faculty to develop, direct, and strategically plan the department initiatives. This position also teaches in the appropriate disciplinary area. The Assistant Chair acts as the department liaison with the Otis Community and establishes/maintains effective working relationships with co-workers, college staff, students, and the public. This position reports directly to the Chair of Product Design.
• Teaches two three-credit courses per academic year as arranged with the Department Chair.
• Acts as a liaison on behalf of the Chair and department to various internal and external constituents, when appropriate.
• Provides advisement services for the department to new and transfer students and works with the Academic Advising Department on registration, transfer credit evaluations, degree requirements, academic warnings and exceptions, and other issues or problems. Offers alternative academic choices, as appropriate, or refers students to the appropriate College office for resolution.
• Provides guidance and support for students to problem-solve and mitigate their respective issues with Campus Life and other divisional offices.
• Provides logistical organization for program review and Participates in all assessment evaluations.
• Oversees the planning of department events and special projects (i.e., student exhibitions, open houses, portfolio day, receptions for the department, etc.) Organizes faculty and student participation.
• Leads faculty assignment to committees associated with the shared government.
• Serves on committees and taskforces to meet College-wide goals and initiatives.
• Assists the Department Chair to develop, plan, and direct all department initiatives, assessment practices, and other ongoing department functions and services. Responds to new needs and directives as necessary.
• Assists the Chair in developing class schedules and balance sections based on enrollment numbers. Make any adjustments in the course schedule as needed. Manage classrooms and studio spaces. Maintain accurate course descriptions for catalogs. Ensures that all departmental changes are recorded accurately in the course catalog and schedule of classes.
• Works in collaboration with Chair on faculty hires. Review the faculty contracts and other legal documents for accuracy and compliance. Ensures that all requirements are fulfilled correctly and on schedule. Works with Chair to project current and future staffing needs.
• Support the Chair on the department budget. Initiates required business forms for purchases and other expenditure requests.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. Must be responsive to work-related phone calls and emails during non-business hours on occasion.
A terminal degree and evidence of at least five years of the academic experience at the faculty or administrative level is required. An established record of excellence in teaching, assessment, and administration is desired. Strong ability and sustained record to recruit and work with diverse students and faculty is required. Quantitative skills are necessary. Individual must be an exceptional collaborator who can act as an ambassador for the departments and College. Must have the ability to navigate through social media and think critically about new directions in the curriculum. The Individual must have outstanding customer service skills and the ability to utilize them to respond to inquiries and/ or complaints and present ideas and concepts orally and in writing to all community members as needed.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must apply via our website at https://otis.simplehire.com/postings/1739 to be considered for the position.
Otis College of Art and Design is an Equal Opportunity employer.