Position: Computational Designer – Intelligent Places
Gensler’s Intelligent Places Practice helps our clients envision, design, and operate connected and intelligent buildings and environments that continuously learn and adapt. We are an interdisciplinary team of strategists, architects, computational designers, service designers, technologists, data scientists, and researchers committed to creating better design and higher performance in the built environment. We focus on advanced applications of technology, data, and machine intelligence to better model experience, enhance operations, and improve design.
We offer strategy, visioning, and planning; conduct applied research; and develop intelligent services that increase the value of our client’s projects.
The Computational Designer will focus on the application and development of core capabilities related to spatial modeling automation, analytics design, researching the application of generative algorithms, and simulation methodologies. The core responsibilities include developing procedural design processes, researching various application of computational design methodologies to support computationally driven iterative design feedback loop, design and performance analytics, and generate visual outputs to effectively communicate the value of the work.
He/she will be a core member of a multidisciplinary team working with designers, researchers, data scientists and visualization experts.
What You Will Do
* Perform design analytics using computational analytics processes.
* Generate data and 3D visualizations.
* Participate in developing research frameworks to inform a procedural design approach.
* Prototype high-quality solutions for computational design codes and scripts that meet the project requirements.
* Complete code development tasks and activities in a highly collaborative, agile team to support development of design specifications, solution development, and test scripting and automation.
* Document, validate, and research more efficient solutions.
* Update and manage a code and script repository to meet team standards.
* 2 – 5 years of industry experience in developing computational design methods in the design industry.
* Bachelor, master, or Ph.
D. in architecture, design, engineering or a related field.
* Strong competency in 3D modeling software such as Revit and Rhino and related parametric design methodologies using Dynamo and Grasshopper.
* Strong competency in Python, C# and/ or Java
* Strong data and 3D visualization capabilities
* Ability to research and implement new technologies and algorithms appropriate to enhance project goals.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Strong time management, prioritization, teamwork, and interpersonal skills.
* Experience in design research related to human experience in architecture or urban environments
* Experience in data management processes
* Experience using data visualization platforms such as Power
BI and Tableau
* Development experience or interest in Machine Learning (GAN, Neural Network and other related algorithms)
* Experience in architecture, design or construction related software development
Life At Gensler
As a people-first organization, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our people’s diverse interests.
We encourage every person at Gensler to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership, and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.