Position: Associate Design Director – McKinsey Design
You’ll join one of our McKinsey office locations as part of McKinsey Design.
McKinsey Design combines user-centered design with unparalleled business knowledge and world-class agile development skills to deliver impactful digital experiences. Our highly-skilled designers, digital engagement managers and agile developers deliver service concepts, experiential prototypes and go-to-market products to transform clients’ businesses.
Our office culture is casual, fun and social, with an emphasis on education and innovation. We have the freedom to try new ideas, experiment and are expected to be constantly learning and growing. There is also a strong emphasis on mentoring others in the group, enabling them to grow and learn.
You will have exciting career prospects within an international company that is still considered a start-up, yet was created by a trusted advisor of some of the most influential organizations in the world.
You will work on challenging tasks in an innovative state-of-the-art technological environment in small teams of highly motivated colleagues with various cultural backgrounds.
You will work on a variety of projects that integrate digital designs into products, services and environments.
In this role, you will be part of a blended cross-functional team and tackle all aspects of the design process. Moving from insights to ideas, you will creatively solve complex problems, threading design and business thinking together to deliver inventive, durable and thoughtful, solutions from concept to launch.
You will apply conceptual thinking to create desirable and feasible digital solutions across multiple platforms, smartly bringing together user needs, business goals and technical realities. You’ll utilize industry design standards and best practices to define and implement design criteria as well as apply user centered design methodologies to ensure your ideas are based on customer needs. You’ll prepare research and testing, produce personas, map customer journeys and develop service blueprints for complex products and services.
Additionally, you’ll effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design and design rationale both verbally and visually. You’ll use a variety of methods to convey ideas and concepts (e.g., storyboards, wireframes, prototypes, etc).You’ll use your narration and storytelling skills to bring product ideas to life and you’ll construct quick interactive prototypes with initial, low fidelity visual designs that illustrate your UX/UI design that present a realistic feel of the intended experience.
Further, you’ll perform task analysis and define the user interface design through information architecture, wireframes and user flows and validate it through usability testing to lead usability testing sessions, consolidate findings and iteratively integrate into design solutions.
You will also mentor others and capability build to cultivate and support them through their path at McKinsey.
You’ll also participate in workshops, concept sprints and hackathons to inject design thinking tools and methodologies to produce tangible results in a rapid and iterative way. You’ll work closely with development teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented and you’ll communicate the product’s vision to clients and customers.
- Undergraduate degree in interaction design, interface design, human computer interaction, service design, (graphic) design with emphasis on UX or equivalent qualification
- 7+ years relevant industry experience designing applications, experiences, websites, products and services that balance user needs, business objectives and technological constraints
- Demonstrated capabilities of a hands-on practitioner proven through a diverse body of work using visual design software (Adobe CS, Sketch, Flinto and Principle), rapid prototyping tools (InVision) and research tools (AirTable, Tableau, Google Analytics)
- Experience with Agile software development processes and methodologies
- Holistic and human centered approach to product and service design, from research and insight generation to concept to deliverable
- Proven ability as a solid hands-on practitioner demonstrated through a diverse body of work across a range of leading clients
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience mentoring designers and other members of a cross-functional team
- Able to function, adapt and succeed in a constantly changing, fast paced environment
- Self-organized and structured, with the ability to define your own tasks
- Strong influencing, negotiation and communication skills (written, verbal, presentation) with the ability to be a thought partner/ coach to clients and internal team
- Willingness to travel approximately 75% of the time to client sites